Royal Commission for Riyadh City
The Royal commission of riyadh city (RCRC) was established by the Saudi Council of Ministers’ decree No. 717, on June 20, 1974 (corresponding to 29 Jumada I, 1394 Hijri). It was established to achieve the vision of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques of forming a joint authority that takes the responsibility of the comprehensive development of Riyadh City and serves as a unified command for all metropolitan development efforts by different agencies.
The ‘Development of Saudi Provinces and Cities’ regulation was issued by virtue of the Council of Ministers’ decree No. 475 on May 05, 2018 (Ramadan 07, 1439H). This regulation stipulates that the Royal commission of riyadh city is a joint body with a legal personality and financial and administrative independence, reporting directly to the Chairman of the Council of Ministers.
RCRC goals include the achievement of comprehensive urban, economic, social and cultural development of Riyadh City, handling the issues related to environment management and protection, and providing the city with the necessary public services and utilities. The RCRC provides all the bodies working in the city with a common ground from where their works can take off based on a unified vision and joint work programs.
The RCRC caters to the city needs, coordinates the activities of relevant bodies, bridges any organizational gaps, handles setbacks, and tackles all critical issues that cannot be addressed by a single agency.
Mission and Responsibilities
To achieve the comprehensive metropolitan development, the Royal commission of riyadh city assumes the following responsibilities:
- Draw up the metropolitan development policies.
- Prepare, maintain, update and implement metropolitan studies, strategic plans and development programs.
- Supervise the planning, design, and implementation of the strategic programs and projects as well as any related maintenance and operational works.
- Review and approve the public/private development plans, programs and projects that fall within its mandate to ensure balanced development throughout the city.
- Plan and follow up on the infrastructure projects in coordination with the concerned bodies.
- Prioritize the implementation of the city’s programs and projects in the light of the approved development plans.
- Follow up on the implementation of Province’s programs and projects and take the necessary measures to ensure their proper implementation, in coordination with the concerned stakeholders.
- Apply KPIs to the development programs and projects and measure their efficiency in the light of the approved development plans.
- Propose for the expropriation of real estate for public use, in coordination with the Riyadh Municipality and the relevant bodies.
- Oversee the rehabilitation programs of the existing neighborhoods – including the historic neighborhoods – and ensure their social, economic, environmental and security development.
- Prepare and approve the building regulations and land use controls that support the metropolitan development plans.
- Review and approve land schemes.
- Create and manage urban databases and systems to serve as a platform and a reference for the information related to metropolitan development.
- Coordinate and organize efforts of the bodies concerned with the development of the Province, according to the approved studies and plans.
- Develop programs and procedures to incentivize the private sector participation in achieving the development goals.